© By Marta VanGerwen
My sweet daughter just turned 18. I began to recall memories of when she was a little girl. I would watch her play in her room. She would bounce back and forth between her little kitchenette and her dolls enjoying her make belief world.
“Can we talk Cece?” I would ask.
“In a minute mommy I am very busy right now!”
I would then ask again. “Can we spend some time together?”
“Maybe later Mommy, I have to feed the dolls and clean my house.”
With a chuckle I just kept watching. My desire was just to sit and chat with her. But even at such a young age she had already begun the spin of life. She was caught up in her world. In many ways she was just modeling my behavior – that of the daily ritual of keeping as many things going as possible. Going from one thing to another making sure nothing is left undone. Like the spinning plates routine.
I liken that scenario to my relationship with the Lord. I imagine there have been countless missed opportunities where the Lord desired to connect with me. But I was caught up in my own world. The spin of my life did not make room for the pause…the stillness…the awareness needed to experience a God connection. That unique place where Heaven and hearts unite. Where we miraculously experience His gentle yet penetrating presence, and His quiet yet powerful voice.
Jesus desires to communicate with us! In a world where noise, activity, and accomplishment is primary, God’s world represents the complete opposite. His call is to come away, rest, be still and know that He is God. He longs for us. We see this all throughout Scripture. A loving and merciful God going to extreme measures to reach out to His creation. And yet, the human will continues to spin trying to figure out this thing called life- by itself. All the while God just wants to come inside and take His rightful place in the human heart. Revealing His love and establishing connection.
“There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God.” Brother Lawrence
From the moment we get up we are caught up in the whirlwind of our fast –paced lives. And if we really look closely, it’s like God is competing with our schedules. Everything seems to take priority over the most needed thing in our life – connecting with the Lord. God wants to share Heavens Secrets with us. And yet how easily we can disregard, pass by, not make time, or live without the awareness of God’s presence in our life.
“The secret of the Lord is for those who fear Him, and He will make them know His covenant. My eyes are continually toward the Lord, for He will pluck my feet out of the net.” Psalm 25:14-15
Experiencing God is not just limited to a church service, but rather it is a day by day, moment by moment awareness. It is a realization that Christ is not distant, but rather lives in us and desires relationship. In the book, “Practice of the Presence of God”, by Brother Lawrence he addressed his ongoing relationship with the Lord in the following way…
“I occupy myself solely with keeping myself in God’s holy presence. I do this simply by keeping my attention on God and by being generally and lovingly aware of Him. This could be called practicing the presence of God moment by moment, or to put it better, a silent, secret and nearly unbroken conversation of the soul with God.”
Practicing the presence of God ! But how is this done? How do we stop all the plates from spinning long enough for us to become acquainted with our Lord, who is calling us by name to an abiding, loving, and engaging relationship. How can we make time for the pause…stillness…and awareness needed to connect with God amidst the busyness of our life?
- Acknowledge the reality of His presence in your life throughout the day. It’s not like we leave Jesus at home. He is always with us.
- Talk with Him. Be real. He knows everything about us already so why not just be honest with Him about what is going on in our life. Prayer is not some perfect expression but rather a heartfelt cry!
- Look for moments, places that you can pause and reflect ….invite Him into your world each day….
- Think about Him. I have had to face the reality of how much my mind can be occupied with everything else but God in a given day. This is an area that I am learning with God’s help to change in my life.
- Meditate on Scripture every day. I try and have a Scripture for the day that I can reflect on. Write out Scriptures on sticky notes and put them up in your car, office, kitchen, and bathroom wherever you can be reminded. God’s Word strengthens, encourages, guide us, and sets our hearts free….
- Praise and thank Him. “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18. We are so blessed to have so many choices of worship music to choose from. Take time each day to express your gratitude for everything He is in your life.
Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work.” Oswald Chambers
As always your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Will you join me in allowing the Lord to have His rightful place in our hearts and lives?
More to come from Risendreams…
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.